My Itinerary

My Itinerary
Where I will be between August 26 and December 13

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Third Week Approaches!

I've come to realize that time doesn't really exist as anything other than a creation of society, which some of the sociology majors here would argue is true of everything. Time, more or less, is a societal construct used to keep us crazy humans punctual, in order, and in check. This conclusion I attribute to two different things: a conversation I had with a friend last summer, and the Block Plan. I cannot think outside of the 3 1/2 week box that every block places us in. However, when I leave the CC campus, I can easily consider the implications of my decisions beyond the scope of a month. I'm always very impressed by students here that can have jobs off campus—those bosses must be pretty understanding, considering the fact that employees of theirs that go to CC essentially change lives every month. And I'm not exaggerating when I say that. Last month, I was in Beginning Poetry Writing; I was a poet. This month, I'm in Fundamentals of Design and Technical Theatre; I am a designer. Everything from class schedules, amount of homework, free time, even friends, changes from block to block. Today is not April 10th in my mind. Instead, today is 2nd Sunday. Tomorrow begins 3rd Monday. Third Week is always the last big push before the hellish, overly stressful 4th Week, which roughly matches up to Finals Week at any other college. Third Week, to me, is also the last time during a block that I actually have time to spend time with my friends. Fourth Week is just too stressful on the entire campus for anybody to really enjoy themselves. So, I'm looking at the week ahead of me and seeing it as my last couple days to say my goodbyes, pack up my belongings, and prepare for the altered perspective one acquires while studying abroad.




I've really loved this year. I live in a great place with great people, have worked on some excellent plays with some very professional people, and have discovered a lot about who I am and what I want out of this life. I'm wondering what new discoveries I will make. I'm going to milk the rest of this block for everything it is worth. With 8 days of class left, 6 more rehearsals of Moonchildren to attend, and various other "lasts," the next week and a half certainly will be bittersweet. Although I will be living in Colorado Springs this summer, CC just won't be the same in the summertime, I'm sure. One thing is certain, I'm glad I will be seeing Pikes over the summer.
Pikes Peak! CC Admissions uses this photo on some of their pamphlets. It's even prettier in person :)




Am I nervous? Absolutely. Am I excited? Even more so.

No comments:

Post a Comment