My Itinerary

My Itinerary
Where I will be between August 26 and December 13

Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Adventure Begins...again...in Canada

Oh, Canada, my home and native land! Except not really; I was born in Washington, D.C. That’s just the beginning of their national anthem. I do like hockey and maple syrup, though.

Modern Art?
The flight was simple. I took two naps, read half of my mom’s Time Magazine, and started Garrison Keilor’s Lake Wobegon Days, "where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average.” Thanks, Matt Potter! Sometimes, I wish I was from Minnesota. Customs took longer than expected. There were a lot of different people from a lot of different places, so it was a nice introduction to the level of diversity I am about to experience. Getting bags didn’t take too long. Air Canada didn’t lose any of them, but it was lightly sprinkling outside, so some of my stuff got wet. Frustrating! The cab ride to the hotel was relatively short. There was some traffic leaving from the airport. And that was that.

Much more exciting than a United States post box
I’ve been to Canada before. Toronto, Vancouver, Victoria, Lake Louise, Calgary, and I think some other random place, too. Montréal is very, VERY different from the rest of the Canada. It’s French! It’s not super pretentious French, though. I mean, sure, there are some trashy hipsters and EVERYTHING is written in French before English (and all the people assume you speak French before English—or maybe that’s just me? Do I look European? THANKS, LONDON!), but it’s not overbearing or annoying. I wish I could have a few more days here because, frankly, I haven’t seen enough.

Fountain





Most of the other SAS-ers didn’t come up here with their parents, but I’m glad mine did. I got to stay in a nice hotel and eat delicious food and drink delicious wine, none of which are within my budget (or probably ever will be). Plus, it’s been nice to hang out with them and my sister after not seeing them most of the summer. Our first day, we had a late start, ate a delicious crêpe lunch, and then biked around for a little, mostly along the St. Lawrence River. It doesn’t seem very polluted at all; the water is so blue! It was choppy, though. Lots of waves and swells, so now I’m kind of nervous for sea sickness for the first couple days as we make our way to the wide open ocean. We also went in the Notre Dame. Though not as big or beautiful as the one in Paris, it was still extremely impressive. Fun fact: the architect was so impressed with his work he, apparently, converted to Catholicism so he could be buried in it. Jesus? Psh! Guess the guy was just really disappointed with his original religion and its burial practices...


1976 Olympic Stadium 

The fam
The next day, which was yesterday, we went to the Olympic Village, or Village Olympique (there’s that French I was talking about), to see where the 1976 Summer Olympics took place. Second fun fact: the main building is the world’s tallest slanted structure and stadium at 175 metres (or, 574 feet). The Leaning Tower of Pisa only leans at 3.99 degrees and barely compares to this. We went on a tour and explored inside the stadium. We also went up the cable car to the top of the tower to get an aerial view of Montréal. It was interesting to see a city that only had a few rolling hills in the background as opposed to the Front Range beyond Denver and Pikes Peak right next to the Springs. I miss mountains. Afterwards, we walked around downtown, enjoying the day.

Pops!

My first two nights, I went out and met other SAS students. Both times, I’ve met up with people at a specific hotel and then went out with them to some bars downtown. So far, I really like all of them. Everyone seems very friendly, very excited, a little nervous, and very ready. I love how it feels like a family is already forming. I can’t wait to meet everyone else, especially the people I have been talking to more. Four months with these people already feels too short. Four months of new places already feels too short.
Montréal!

I couldn’t sleep last night. My brain just didn’t want to shut off. I tossed and turned until about 2:40 A.M. and then read more Lake Wobegon Days in the bathtub in the bathroom so the light wouldn't bother my sister even though she couldn't sleep either. Weirdly, though, I'm not tired. My body is playing this fun little game in which sleep isn't a necessity, it seems. This isn’t the first time I’ve been kept up by my own head, consumed by my own nerves and jitters and anxiety. I had two in a row back in May while I was in London, which seemed a bit early, if you ask me. I wouldn’t say I’m nervous, which usually is what causes sleepless nights for me. I’m just excited. I just can’t believe it’s here. Finally here! I board TODAY! I leave TOMORROW! The world is just around the corner! The road here certainly hasn’t been easy, cheap, or clear and simple. I’ve run into many bumps in the road. My questions only seemed to grow exponentially as this week has loomed closer and closer. I’ve never had cold feet, though, and I still don’t even have a little bit of chill on my toes. I’m as ready as I’ll ever be for this, which may not be saying much, but it’s the best I’ve got, the best I can do, and the best I will even try to do. Nobody could ever fully prepare for themselves for an experience as moving as I know this one will be.

Thank you so, SO much to my friends, family, loved ones, professors, advisers, counselors, doctors, and everyone else that had some kind of part in getting me here. This road would have been impossible to travel alone. Thank you for letting me dream, question, wonder, explore, think. All of this is about to become reality. I’m missing all of you already.

Time to take off the training wheels I kept on throughout London, Spain, and Canada and let this global adventure BEGIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment