My Itinerary

My Itinerary
Where I will be between August 26 and December 13

Monday, May 30, 2011

Jet Lag and Reverse Culture Shock

I'm back in Colorado! As you might expect, everything has been cloudy since I left Madrid. I've been walking around in a jet lag induced fog since my return to America. An eight hour time difference is an enormous change, and I'm still feeling the exhausting effects of jet lag. I get tired at really weird times of day. Between sleeping away pretty much the entire past weekend of my life in order to realign my bodily rhythms with Colorado, moving into my new apartment in downtown Colorado Springs, and starting a new class (18th Century British Satire), everything has been a whirlwind of readjustment back to my former life. However, my life isn't quite the same as I left it back in April. The snow has (mostly) cleared from the mountains, leaving them a beautiful green that is such a privilege to stare at as I walk to class. I am now living on my own without a meal plan in a three-person apartment; having a room to myself is a very welcomed change. Having experienced city life, I feel like I am walking around with a bit more confidence than before. I could just be imagining that. Lastly, everything is quiet and calm on campus. My friends have left for parts both known and unknown, disappeared into the great blue of the real world outside of CC, most of whom not to be seen by me again until next year. The graduated ones, though, are out there for real. For good. Missing graduation was a decision I made in order to experience Spain and while I'm certainly glad I did it, I definitely wish I could've been there to send my senior friends off. They were a special bunch.

It's all quite weird, being back. It's quiet at night, I don't have a play (or two) to see each day, public transit is basically a myth, and on and on. I mean, I knew what I was coming back to, but now that I'm living it again after experiencing something completely beyond anything else I have done, it's a bit strange and unsettling. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I spend a lot of time thinking about London, Spain, and traveling abroad again. Good thing Semester at Sea isn't too far around the corner. 

Oh, well...happy summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment